username problem

Trent MacDougall trent at dalcs.UUCP
Tue Aug 16 03:12:18 AEST 1988

In article <578 at proxftl.UUCP>, aaron at proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) writes:
> I have a curious problem on my 3b1...
>
> $ who am i
> aaron      w4           Aug 12 08:01
> $ passwd
> Changing password for LOGIN
> Permission denied.
> $ passwd aaron
> Old password:
> <etc.>

Your password/group files are probably ok.  I have run into this problem many
times and it is driving me nuts!  It occurs when you have more than one getty
running on /dev/window.  If this problem happens...I bet if you do a 'who -a'
you will notice that the LOGIN entry is coming before your entry in the utmp
file.  If you login on that window as some other user (ie. not aaron) you will
run into the above problem with the new username.  I have yet to figure out
exactly why this is happening.  If you write a little C program that uses
both getlogin() and cuserid() etc. they all fail to give the correct username.

Has anyone else come across this or are Aaron and I the only ones?  I hope
someone can figure out some kind of fix, this thing is really annoying.
--
//_//_//_//_//  Trent MacDougall @ Dalhousie University, CS Dept.
\\_\\_\\_\\_\\  UUCP               {uunet utai watmath}!dalcs!trent
// // // // //  CDN                trent at cs.dal.cdn
                INTERNET           trent%dalcs at uunet.UU.NET