thanks & wrastop()

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.UUCP
Mon Aug 22 15:24:45 AEST 1988

In article <565 at proxftl.UUCP> aaron at proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) writes:
>Also I'm curious on how to change the system font (I think I remember hearing
>that it's possible?) Damn, I really need those manuals...

The system font is determined by whatever font you load into slot 0 during the
boot sequence; look in the file /etc/.fontload.  In mine I've got:

sfont -s /usr/lib/wfont/8x9 0
# sfont -s /usr/lib/wfont/PLAIN.R.E.12.A 0
# sfont -s /usr/lib/wfont/FANCY.R.E.12.A 2

Note that the 0 is the slot number.  To change to another font as your boot
font, put whatever font you'd like in slot 0.  There's *one* catch!  The cursor
will be the size of the largest loaded font.  If your current font is smaller
than this, backspace works miserably, leaving all kinds of pixel crumbs and
generally messing up the line.

Until /etc/rc executes /etc/.fontload the choice of PLAIN.R.E.12.A seems to be
in ROM somewhere -- probably the font is in ROM too.  I get the results of fsck
in that font, not 8x9.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \