The magic incantation to change font

Norman Yarvin ins_anmy at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Fri Aug 26 12:40:04 AEST 1988

In article <303 at amanue.UUCP> jr at amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
> [..]
>Note that the 0 is the slot number.  To change to another font as your boot
>font, put whatever font you'd like in slot 0.  There's *one* catch!  The cursor
>will be the size of the largest loaded font.  If your current font is smaller
>than this, backspace works miserably, leaving all kinds of pixel crumbs and
>generally messing up the line.

The following sequence of commands will change your font and make backspace work:

setf 6
setf fontname 6
setf 0
setf fontname 0

(any number in 1-7 can be substituted for the 6)

And remember while doing this to wave the mouse three times above your head
in a circle, having first rubbed it with bat skin :-)

Pease don't ask me why this works, or why subsequences of it don't work.  I
have not the faintest idea.  It was discovered by accident.  I suppose you
can use sfont rather than setf to load the font for all windows, but I
haven't tried it.

 				Norman Yarvin
  (seismo!umcp-cs | ihnp4!whuxcc | allegra!hopkins) !jhunix!ins_anmy

  "Christmas -- the day when we celebrate the birth of a 2000 year old
   superstition by watching pine trees slowly die in our living rooms"