Spares cont.

Hans Jespersen hjespers at attcan.UUCP
Tue Aug 16 23:46:01 AEST 1988

In article <234 at a3bee2.UUCP>, grzesiak at a3bee2.UUCP (John Grzesiak ) writes:
> same here ... And I would like a copy very much. Also does anyone know
> if an older 3B2-400 can be upgraded to SCSI or as an I/O card?
>  I would like to use a larger drive than I currently have on this one
> that I am using. Thanks in advance

No problem. If you want to upgrade your old 3B2/400 you need to following:

Single-Ended SCSI Host Adapter Card (PEC 73263) and
3B2 SCSI Connect Kit (PEC 73277)

The Host Adapter occupied one I/O feature card slot.

You then have two options. You can get a DCM/4E (Disk Controller Module)
which is a ESDI bridge controller, and put up two four ESDI drives on
it (available from AT&T in 147MB and 300MB sizes), or you can get a
real SCSI disk unit (the DM/300S or the XM/900S) and skip the bridge
controller entirely. The advantage to using the ESDI disks and the
bridge controller is that all four disks only take one tap from the
SCSI bus (as opposed to four with the SCSI disks). There are 7 available
taps on the SCSI Host Adapter thus one Host Adapter can support 7*4*300=
8.4 GigaBytes. A 3B2/400 can have two Host Adapters installed for a total
of 16.8 GB (perfect for those large Crystal Writer files ;-)

Hans Jespersen                          |
AT&T Canada Inc.                        |     PLACE SILLY TEXT BASED
PHONE : (416)499-9400                   |     GRAPHIC DOODAD HERE.
UUCP  : { uunet | att }!attcan!hjespers |