Looking for info on 3b2

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Wed Aug 31 19:48:59 AEST 1988

In article <301 at amyerg.UUCP> egranthm at amyerg.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) writes:

> Was wondering if anyone could point me toward some cheap hard disks
> for a 3B2/300. I've been told by my VAR that a 72 meg replacement
> for my 30 meg drive would cost $1500, while I see drives in the
> magazines with the ESDI interface for 150 megs at this price. Any
> way to get a 60 or 70 meg ESDI drive to replace my internal one for
> about $600-$700?

Anybody can format their own 3B2 300/310/400 drives with the AT&T
3B2 Computer Maintenance Utilities.  This is comcode 305-395
(about $40), and available from the AT&T Customer Information
Center at +1 800 432 6600 (+1 317 352 8556 elsewhere).  This
book has the `idtools' (formerly `devtools') floppy that lets
one work magic.  *Everybody* should have this manual.  Being
able to repair your sanity track just one time will save you
many times the cost of the manual.

In article <340 at anumb.UUCP>, adh at anumb.UUCP (a.d.hay) writes:

> ANY ST412/506 drive will plug 'n play, if you can figure out how to
> format it (yes, even the 190Mb ones ;^>).  CDC makes the OEM drives.

We have heard from a plausible source that the idtools will not
format a drive larger than about 72mb.  Word has is that Congruent
Technologies (they sell a 170MB drive) wrote their own idtools
to do this.  We have not tried this -- anybody else done it?

CDC drives are nice but expensive.  We hear that Micropolis
drives work well: fast, high-quality, and inexpensive.  We have
formatted CDC drives but not tried the Micropolis drives yet.

     Steve
--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl