Questions from a new user (SUMMARY)

Gary S. Trujillo gst at gnosys.UUCP
Fri Aug 12 23:58:37 AEST 1988

In article <10504 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[rs]) writes:
|In article <226 at ssbn.WLK.COM>, bill at ssbn.UUCP writes:
|Referring to ksh history files with unique names...
|>
|> Not to be a nit picker, but how do you get rid of them when you log out?
|
|Since .profile is only read when logging in, not with every invocation -
|that's what ENV is for, put something like this in your .profile:
|
|	HISTFILE=$HOME/.kshistory$$
|	/bin/ksh
|	rm .kshistory$$

Well, this suggestion takes care of the problem, but at the expense of an
extra process per window (since there's a shell waiting around for the
/bin/ksh to die).  So it takes an extra slot in the process table, but
maybe it doesn't matter that much since the extra shells are sharing text
space, and I assume their data space is swappable.  Opinions?  Emmet?
--
Gary S. Trujillo			{ihnp4,linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {cirl,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst