Help with system lockup

Randy Suess randy at chinet.UUCP
Mon Aug 22 08:30:26 AEST 1988

In article <813 at vsi.UUCP> friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>Hi folks,
>
>     I've a customer with a 3B2/300 running Sys V Rel 3.  We just
>upgraded their machine to use 4MB of RAM and we're having some
>strangeness, the source of which I'm not sure.
>     The system runs much better with the new RAM, but on
>occassion it just locks up for several seconds at a time.  This
>is, as you might imagine, annoying, and the customer has politely
>inferred that this is somehow our doing.

	Seems to be a problem with the 300.  Symptoms are that
	the system just *stops* for anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes.
	Then, all of a sudden, it just starts back up.  Seems to
	happen more often when a couple of uucico's are running.
	It doesn't happen with the 310/400 motherboard.  There
	is a fix, called IDISK that I can send you.  Until then,
	the cure seems to be to reduce your NBUF parameter to less
	than 350.  Also, remove the sticky bit on all programs.
	(not much use with a paging system, anyway).  With 4 megs
	memory on chinet, until I upgraded to a 310 mother board, a
	NBUF parameter of 250 seemed to be the highest I could go.
--

Randy Suess                 * But don't underestimate raw, frothing,  *
randy at chinet                * manic hardware.           -barry shein  *