3b1 Upgrade

Bob Wilber wilber at alice.UUCP
Tue Dec 20 13:10:50 AEST 1988

root1 at booth.UUCP (Root) writes:
>Well, it seems to me that what we are taking about is the addition of a
>second hard disk drive to the unit.  Obviously the internal power supply is
>going to be VERY taxed if you attempt to use that to supply the second
>drives power, so...  It seems to me that an external power supply/case is
>going to be necessary for another drive, so why not mount BOTH drives
>externally, this will free up plenty of space and also remove quite a
>bit of load ftom the internal power supply.  At the same time, (this
>ocours to me as I have both 96tpi and 48tpi floppies mounted externally,
>as well as the hard drive) you might consider mounting the floppy externally
>also.  I have my hard drive external, and the floppies are mounted right
>next to the unit.  I use an external supply for the hard drive, but rigged
>a MS-DOS disk power supply "y" cable for two drives on the internal
>supply for the (formerly) single floppy.  This also frees up more space and
>allows a rather simple route of the cable(s) through the flexable case
>side...
>
>						- Roger

There was never any debate about the fact that a second disk would require an
external power supply.  Putting both disks in an external case isn't too
unreasonable, although that means the case is at least 50% bigger than it would
otherwise have to be (on my *very* crowded desk).

What I find interesting is that so far all the responses have pointed out that
it is possible to rig up a disk by some means other than what Thad Floryan
suggested, (which was never in doubt) but none have pointed out anything wrong
with his proposal.  Those who want to mount both disks externally (so as to
reduce the load on the internal power supply) will be able to do so no matter
how the board for the second disk is mounted and the connections are made.
There ought to be an option for those of us who want to do the minimal amount
of surgery and have the smallest possible amount of external gear (and without
the final result looking too sloppy).

Bob Wilber