/etc/pwcntl on the 3B1 (3.51), anyone?

Dave Ihnat ignatz at chinet.chi.il.us
Wed Dec 14 10:51:09 AEST 1988

There's a reason I asked if anyone had the pwcntl information.  After I got
it (many thanks to net respondents), I spent about 4 hours last Sunday writing
a utility to allow manipulation of this file; in particular, it can now be
used to detect valid login activity (or inactivity) or failed login entries.

The program provides the capability for an interactive examination, or
examination and correction, session (full-screen)--in particular, this will
allow you to correct invalid UIDs (reconciled from the /etc/passwd file, not
the keyboard); delete (or, until the end of the session, undelete) entries
(allows cleanup of failed login attempts); recalculate the space used on a per-
entry basis while interactive, or a batch basis; provide a print listing of
either all entries, or only bad ones (i.e., bad login or bad UID values).

All the listed features have passed a series of tests by myself; all I've left
to do is add some sorting options for the dump option (sort by date, sort by
login name, I think should do it), and write the man page.  Expect this in the
next couple of days.  (That is, if anyone really is interested...)

	-Dave Ihnat
	 Analysts International Corp.
	 ignatz at homebru.chi.il.us