Large files on the Unix PC

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Dec 3 12:53:03 AEST 1988

Your documentation is a bunch of hooey, bushwa, crapola, etc.  Take you pick!

Run the ulimit program to see what the largest file size can be; on my system
the value is 2,147,483,647 (commas inserted by me for clarity).

I've had single files over 12 Megabytes.  For example, the GNU Emacs 18.52
compressed tar file is 4.5MB and when you uncompress it the resultant file
is 11.4MB.

Best I can determine, the ONLY limit on a file's size is the available disk
space.  Run your system below 1MB free and watch the nifty gas gauge icon
appear in the status window!  :-)

Thad Floryan [thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]