GETTYDEFS, etc. (babbling getty)

Bernie Hoffstadt cutter at cutsys.UUCP
Sun Jan 31 10:00:31 AEST 1988

In article <39831 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>> Well, we're using SysV R3.0, so apparently it is not trivial.  (Wonder
>> what kind of kernel support is needed
>
>The Sun version provides *two* "/dev" entries for each serial port; the minor
>device number for the dial-out version is the minor device number for the

	I guess Microport deserves a plug here.  They have 3 minor
device numbers for each device on System5 v2.2;

ttyn - for direct (clocal) connection where open doesn't wait for DCD
from the periperal.  Open does however fail with an I/O error if a
process has ttyMn open - see below.

ttymn - here we wait for DCD before we return from a blocking open.
No interaction with ttyn or ttyMn is noted in the manual, though I
haven't tested this.

ttyMn - like ttymn, but if ttyn is already open, we wait until it's
closed again.  Of course, there has to be DCD before a blocking open
returns.

	Like with the Sun setup, we can hook up a getty to ttyM0 for
dialins, and tell uucp to use tty0 for dialout.

--
Bernie Hoffstadt   (503) 752-5929 * Internet: cutter%cutsys.UUCP at CS.ORST.EDU
1437 N.W. 9th st.   -or- 753-1646 *   -or-    cutter at jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU