Bell Labs emacs

John C. Sucilla jcs at tarkus.UUCP
Tue Jul 5 13:27:20 AEST 1988

In article <14112 at shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> jimmy at PIC.UCLA.EDU (Jim Gottlieb) writes:
>I recently obtained AT&T Bell Labs emacs, version 4.9b, released in 1986
>(from the STORE!) and written by Warren Montgomery.

I don't think that program is available to non AT&T employees.
How did you talk the store into sending it to you?

>What bothers me about it is it doesn't do reverse scrolling (I hate
>screen redraws when backwards scrolling), and doesn't use the termcap
>or terminfo database (it has its own term description file).

Genuine Bell Labs (Warren Montgomery) emacs can be compiled to use
terminfo instead of the built in terminal descriptors.  You need
source to do this, of course.  If your an employee you can get the
source.

>I'm wondering if there is a newer version of Bell Labs emacs that
>corrects these problems and/or adds new features/capabilities.

Thats not a problem, it's a feature.

--
John "C". Sucilla,  A silicon based life form.
       {ihnp4,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs