Disabling floppy ctlr on 6300?

Peter Fales pfales at ttrde.UUCP
Sat Jul 30 06:17:39 AEST 1988

In article <346 at soleil.UUCP>, gopstein at soleil.UUCP (Rich Gopstein) writes:

 >   I would like to add a 3.5 inch 1.44 MB floppy to my 6300.  The machine
 > already has one 5.25 inch 360K floppy on the internal controller, and
 > a 20MB hard disk on an everex controller in one of the slots.
 >
 >   A call to the ATT PC Hotline confirmed that the internal floppy controller
 > could handle the 720K 3.5 inch floppies, but not the 1.44MB variety.  The
 > person I talked to mumbled something about bending up pin 17 of the
 > floppy controller chip on the motherboard to disable the internal controller
 > so that I could install a floppy controller board in one of the slots.

Actually, it is pin 17 of the I/O decoder PAL.  This PAL is located
next to the two ROM chips, and is in a socket, so lifting the pin is easy
to do.  I have done this and it works.

You are correct that the native disk controller can not handle the
1.44 MB floppies, but it should handle the 720k drives with the
appropriate DRIVPARMS in CONFIG.SYS
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...att!ttrde!pfales
work:	(312) 416-5357		AT&T, Room 2F-217