6386 WGS - What does the suffix 'WGS' mean?

The Wumpus aptr at ur-tut
Thu Jul 14 07:41:18 AEST 1988

In article <25057 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> brand at janus.UUCP (Graham Brand) writes:
>I have seen the suffix WGS appended to both the 6386 and the older
>6300 machines. Is it an acronym for something and, if so, what?

The WGS stands for "Work Group System".   These are computers deisgned to
be used with the new AT&T software and hardware.   It should be pointed
out that the 6300WGS != 6300.  I had a chance to play with the 6300WGS
and to look inside of it.  The motherboard is now half the size of the
original 6300 board.  The clock/calender and speaker have been moved to
a seperate board.  The battery for the clock is now replaceable without
using a soldering iron.  The other nice features of the new unit are
a front panel power switch and a a volume control on the speaker.  They
did make one mistake in that they shrunk tthe size of the reset button,
and those of us with large fingers may find it hard to press it.  I also
beleive they solved the hardware problem that caused difficulty in running
EGAs on the old 6300's.  The 6300WGS does not come with a display card,
but AT&T is willing to sell you one of theirs.

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss at uorvm
		  Internet: aptr at tut.cc.rochester.edu
Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"  - M. Binkley