Network problems with AT&T 3B1 machines

jnelson at tle.dec.com jnelson at tle.dec.com
Sat Jul 2 18:52:00 AEST 1988

The university with which I am affiliated recently acquired a large quantity
of AT&T 3B1 computers and software.  Unfortunately, we are having problems
with the machine's network interface.  The machines we attempt to hook up to
the campus network will respond in a variety of ways: some hang, some panic,
some crash; all appear to be permanently affected (damaged) after that point.

We don't know if it's a hardware or software (WIN TCP/IP) problem.  We've
tried swapping network boards and expansion cards with no success, and we've
tried re-installing the software.

I would appreciate ANY responses to this problem.  If there is further
information that you require to help diagnose this problem, please let me
know.  I'm afraid I'm not all that close with the problem, so there's probably
some vital information I've left out.

Please address all correspondence to one of the UNIVERSITY addresses below.  I
will post progress reports and summary information as it becomes available.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

--------------
Jeff E. Nelson
Graduate Student, Computer Science
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
INTERNET:  jen at vtcs1.bitnet  -or-  nelson at vtopus.cs.vt.edu

Digital Equipment Corporation
INTERNET:  jnelson%tle.dec at decwrl.dec.com
(Please do NOT send mail to this address - use one of the VPI&SU addresses)

Affiliations are given for identification purposes only.  Opinions expressed
herein do not necessarily represent the opinions of either Virginia
Polytechnic Institute and State University or Digital Equipment Corporation.