Graphics on the 3b1...

Aaron Zimmerman aaron at proxftl.UUCP
Sun Jul 31 12:43:23 AEST 1988

I just recently purchased a 3b1 (used, obviously), which came with no
instructions. I managed to convince AT&T to send me UNIX System V rev 2
manuals, but they don't tell me what I need.

I need to be able to do bitmapped graphics. However it's done, I'm willing
to do it. I believe the system has Hercules resolution? I've heard that
you're supposed to do something like this:

unsigned char *screenstart;
screenstart = malloc(SCREENSIZE);
.
.
.
directly address the bytes to be altered
.
.
.
wrastop(screenstart);

However, I've had the devil of a time trying to figure out which files to
include. I tried #INCLUDEing all of the .h files in /usr/include and
/usr/include/sys which seemed even vaguely related, and then another inter-
esting problem came up.

My program compiled silently, but I ended up with a .o file and no executable.
I suppose it's possible that 'make' uses different syntax than I'm used to,
but that sounds bizarre. Regardless, cc as I understand it, if called by:

cc -c file.c

will default to making an executable called 'a.out'. I, however, am getting an
object file called 'file.o', which, of course, is nonexecutable.

I'm used to using BSD Unix 4.2 on the Sun here at the office, so I know that
my problem has a trivial solution. However, without the instruction manuals
I presume many of you have, it could take an eternity for me to figure out
what's going on.

BTW: no, my system doesn't have "man" pages online. I presume those are
public domain; if any of you have hard or soft copies of the manuals, I would
greatly appreciate it if you'd be willing to send me copies of same. I'm
willing to pay a reasonable fee for your troubles, as well as any relevant
shipping charges. (While I'm scrounging for software, I also desperately need
TeX or laTeX...)

Thanks much; if it weren't for newsgroups, I'd *really* be in trouble.

--

Aaron   \  Proximity Technology  | #include <disclaimer.h> | +---------------+
Charles  \   3511 N-E 22nd Ave.  |                         | | find the fish |