Unixpc DWB and UA stuff

Rusty Hodge rusty at hodge.UUCP
Tue Jul 26 12:04:53 AEST 1988

In article <815 at naucse.UUCP>, rrr at naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) writes:
> What files do you have to edit to get
> cron going instead of the window manager, phone manager, and bla bla bla.

Here is what I have done to my /etc/rc file.  I keep a copy of the
original for just incase AT&T sends me a update :->

--------------Cut here----------
if [ -z "$1" ]
then
	cd /etc/lddrv
	./mkifile /unix unix.syma
	cmp -s unix.sym unix.syma
	if [ $? != 0 ]
	then
		mv unix.syma unix.sym
		rm -f wind
	fi
	sync
	> /etc/drvtab
	sync
	if [ ! "`grep wdinit unix.sym`" ]
	then
		./lddrv -av wind > /tmp/.winload 2>/tmp/.winload  || (
 			echo Window driver did not load because: > /dev/console
			cat /tmp/.winload > /dev/console
 			exec /bin/sh < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1 )
	fi
 	exec /bin/sh /etc/rc WINDOWED < /dev/window > /dev/w1 2>&1
fi

trap "" 2
rm -f /etc/.extra

/etc/.fontload

echo "The 3B1 is coming up.  Please wait..."
mpid=$!

TZ=`cat /etc/TZ`;export TZ
date
date -
DATE=`date '+%a %h %d, 19%y  %r' `
echo $DATE
echo TZ=$TZ
PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin:/etc
TERM=s4

export PATH TERM

stty sane

# PERFORM THE FILE SYSTEM CHECKS WITH AUTO-REBOOT IF SYSTEM WAS REPAIRED
echo "Performing fsck..."
if [ ! -f /etc/LCK.fsck ]
then
	echo "Running first-time automatic fsck -p."
	touch /etc/LCK.fsck
	/etc/fsck -p
	echo "Automatic fsck -p finished."
fi

rm -f /etc/LCK.fsck

#look for lockfile to force a fsck, in case lots of things are wrong.
#Pray this never happens.

if [ -f /etc/FSCK-FORCE ]
then
	echo "Forced fsck being attempted.  THIS IS INTERACTIVE."
 	rm -f /etc/FSCK-FORCE
	/etc/fsck
fi

#Keep old drive logs around if you are sentimental
cat /usr/adm/drv.log >> /etc/old.drv.log
rm -f /usr/adm/drv.log

if [ -x /etc/.drvload ]
then
	echo "Loading drivers..."
	kill $mpid > /dev/null 2>&1
	mpid=$!
	/etc/.drvload
fi

if [ -s /etc/.version ]
then
	setuname -v `cat /etc/.version`
fi
# was fi[ originally. Why?

#Another mysterious AT&T original /etc/rc whatever:

cat >  /etc/.extra <<END
xxx
END

# Kill off last forked off window

kill $mpid

if [ ! -r /etc/.installdate ]
then
	/etc/.firstrc
fi

TZ=`cat /etc/TZ`

# IF USER CHANGED THE TIME ZONE AND REBOOTED THE SYSTEM THEN .INSTALLDATE
# WILL BE EMPTY AT THIS POINT. WE MUST CALL .FIRSTRC ONE MORE TIME TO
# COMPLETE THE SCRIPT

if [ ! -s /etc/.installdate ]
then
	/etc/.firstrc
fi

echo "Setting up screen..."
kill $mpid
mpid=$!

# THERE ARE SEVERAL FILES WHICH START VARIOUS DAEMONS AND PERFORM
#  ASSORTED TASKS.  IF THEY ARE PRESENT AND EXECUTABLE, RUN THEM!
echo "Starting Daemons..."
# /etc/namesys executes either setuname or slaninit depending on whether
# STARLAN is installed

for i in .cleanup .cronstart .lpstartsched .syncstart namesys .phinit .modeminit ph

do
	echo "Starting $i"
	/etc/$i
done

# The phone manager should be started.  You can then kill it... but some things
# need to be initialized by it.

	/etc/cron &

# any additional daemons (such as slan initialization)
# can be put in /etc/daemons, and will be executed without
# changing /etc/rc.  Each should be run in the background.

if [ -d /etc/daemons ]
then
	DAEMONS=`ls /etc/daemons/*`
	if [ $? != 0 ] ; then DAEMONS=""; fi
	for i in $DAEMONS
	do
	echo $i
		if [ -x $i ]
		then	nohup $i > /dev/null 2>&1 &
		fi
	done
fi

# If a screen time out has been selected, then set it.

if [ -s /etc/.blanktime ]
then
	scrset `cat /etc/.blanktime`
fi
# Clean up pnet files
# If you aren't running P-net, you won't need these lines...

rm -f /usr/spool/uucp/LCK.* /usr/lib/pnet/pnet.who
rm -f /usr/lib/pnet/talk/talk?.who /usr/lib/pnet/talk/talk.*
rm -f /usr/spool/uucp/STST*

# Kill last window
kill $mpid

---------------cut here------------------

I hope this was of some educational value.

> Do you have some shell scripts to do backup (yes I still use the ua for
> that (sigh).)

You can use the original scripts for the most part.

> When the phone manager is dead is there any trouble
> with outgoing calls (or does it work better 8*)

If you never start the phone manager, you will most likely default to
pulse dialing mode.   This is the only problem I know of.  However, I
think someone posted a new version of the .phinit script:

/etc/phupd ph1 DATA YES NO NO

Which tells the system that you are using DATA line 2 and touch tone.

--

Rusty Hodge, HCR Inc, 1588 N. Batavia St. Orange, CA 92667      (714) 974-6300
rusty at hodge.cts.com [uunet vdelta crash]!hodge!rusty        FAX (714) 921-8038