Questions on SCSI device interfacing...

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Wed Jul 20 11:52:54 AEST 1988

With the recent announcement by IDT Systems to support SCSI devices on
the AT&T 3B1, some questions have come up in my mind.  I haven't had
too much experience with SCSI devices.  The only experience that I had
was hooking up some SCSI tape drives to 3B2/400 units.   [For those
who are wondering what SCSI stands for it is:  [S]mall [C]omputer
[S]tandard [I]nterface]

The questions that I have are:

   1.   Do I have to buy a special interface when I purchase SCSI devices,
	or if the device says it is SCSI compatible will it include
	the necessary hardware to just hook up the 50-pin Centronics SCSI
	cable directly?

   2.   How do you hook a multiple of devices (up to 7) to the SCSI host
	adapter?  Do you just need to daisy-chain them along and give
	each a particular identification in the device driver?

   3.   Do SCSI devices cost MORE or LESS than other devices?  In
	particular, tape drives and hard drives.

Please E-Mail if possible, I will summarize for the net-at-large...

Thanks,
Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...att    \