Does the AT&T 6386 suffer from the 80386 + 80387 + paging bug?

TED MYSLINSKI tam at mtunf.ATT.COM
Thu Jul 7 05:37:38 AEST 1988

In article <1072 at woton.UUCP> riddle at woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
>According to discussion I've seen on the net, the current release of
>the 80386 chip contains a bug which can cause a machine to crash when it
>is paging and doing floating point operations on an 80387 math
>co-processor.  Some vendors of '386 boxes have come up with hardware
>fixes to get around this problem.
>
>Does anyone know what the status of the AT&T 6386 is in relation to
>this matter?  Our local tech people haven't been able to find any
>reference to the problem, which may mean either that AT&T found and
>fixed it early on, or that AT&T still hasn't dealt with it.  Since
>we're in the process of buying a 6386 with a '387, we'd like to
>know...
>
>Please reply by mail and I will summarize.
>
>-- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
>-- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
>-- riddle%woton.uucp at cs.utexas.edu  uunet!ut-sally!cs.utexas.edu!woton!riddle

(I tried to mail this but it was returned. Anyway.....)

Their exixts a daughterboard made by Ironwood Electronics, of
Minneapolis, Minnesota, that fixes the paging problem on the 6386
machines. The board, called the Fix-386, is about the same size as
an 80386 and is placed into the 80386 socket. The 80386 is then
plugged into the Ironwood daughterboard.

Fix-386 is available directly from the manufacturer as part number
FX-PGA 132-01. The list price of the board is $145, but AT&T referrals
will receive a 25% discount.

To order the Fix-386, contact:

Ironwood Electronics
Attention: Paul Jasmin