Help needed with 7300

Bob Ames bob at rush.cts.com
Sun Jun 19 08:54:48 AEST 1988

In article <9300074 at bradley>, tychan at bradley.UUCP writes:

> The easiers way to lock out other users is to become "su" and give it a passwd
> using the "passwd" command". Then only those knowing the password can become
> super user.

Sorry, on the UNIX PC 7300/3B1, knowing the root password only allows
me to get to Super-User about 30 seconds sooner that without the root
password.  This system has many security holes in it.  This was
discussed some time back on the net. Does anyone have the archives
on that discussion?  Specifically, have the attempts at removing/
changing uasig and uaupd been successful?  What about the other holes?

Has anyone succeeded in providing an Office to someone and still manage to
prevent access to Super-User?  I can become SU within 1 minute of getting
to *ANY* office on all unix-pcs that I know of.

Bob Ames      INET: bob at rush.cts.com

Rush UNIKS PC Support Center   Bell: 619-432-6860
UUCP: {cbosgd, ucsd, nosc, sun!ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush!bob
"I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!"   {icus, jack}!/
"We each pay a fabulous price - for our visions of paradise." - N Peart 1987