AT&T vs. CSS (PC/Tools)

toma at tekgvs.UUCP toma at tekgvs.UUCP
Fri Jun 3 00:02:40 AEST 1988

In article <1697 at looking.UUCP> brad at looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I am sure that if AT&T had wanted to (it's a bit late now) they could
>have gotten trade marks on the more unusual Unix command names.  [...]
>This proves they are valid trade marks.

But they would have to protect the trademark by not not using them in a
generic sense.  That means calling it "the cd brand change directory command".
They have to insure the commands do not fall into common use.  This means one
should not say "cee dee to slash bin" but rather "use the cd brand change
directory command to change to the directory slash bin".  Or perhaps even
".. the directory slash bin brand binaries directory" if they had the foresight
to trademark the directory names as well!  Personally, I think some of the
names are so bad no one in their right mind should copy them.

>Unix, by the way, is a trade mark of AT&T Bell Labs, for its brand of
>multi-tasking operating system.

This says it all!

Tom Almy
toma at tekgvs.TEK.COM