Which UNIX pc kernel is better? 3.51 or 3.51a?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Sat Jun 4 15:05:10 AEST 1988

Which kernel has the "net-at-large" found to be more reliable for a system
with heavy UUCP traffic?   For some reason recently my system has been
hanging with the "slow-down-and-die" syndrome, random panic's, etc..  I've
been running 3.51a for quite some time, and just recently this has
been happening again?  What could I have done?  I used to be able to keep
my machine running 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week for over a month before rebooting
normally.  Now I have to reset the machine on the average twice every 3 days...

I've been getting:

	panic:  addr fault in kernel
	panic:  page fault in kernel

Sounds like a bad kernel to me?  Phone driver?  Window Driver?  Or all
three?

$ ls -l /UNIX3.51a /unix
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     168915 Mar 26 22:01 /UNIX3.51a*
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     168915 Mar 26 22:01 /unix*

$ sum /UNIX3.51a
45337 165 /UNIX3.51a

Help!  [I wish the source was available to this machine?  Does anyone
know if it is?]

-Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S