Unix PC accelerators

David C. Albrecht dca at kesmai.COM
Sat Jun 25 03:51:21 AEST 1988

It would be nice if we could speed up the UNIX PC but its custom MMU
and unknown software incompatabilities probably rules out a 68020
daughter board.  Just recently, however, products have been coming out
for the Amiga which put a higher speed (14Mhz) 68000 on a daughterboard
which matches the processor to bus speeds when accessing the system bus.

Apparently, there is a similar product for the Macintosh which incorporates
an on board cache.  I wonder if there are any high speed versions of the
68010 available and if it would work if substituted for the 68000 in the
daughterboard for the Mac.  A 16Mhz or so 68010 with a write through
cache should work just ducky.

I don't hold out high hopes, however, as Motorola hasn't shown signs of
speeding up their down line processors and I'm not even sure these sped
up 68000s are Motorola parts not some knock-off.  Food for thought.
Maybe someone more in touch with the current state of availability for
68000 style processors can educate.

David Albrecht