3B2 400 handshaking problems with HP LaserJet Series II

Keith Jackson keith at lsuc.uucp
Sat Jun 11 02:55:35 AEST 1988

Has anyone out there encountered handshaking problems between
a 3B2 400 enhanced tty port and an HP LaserJet of any kind?
I have a LaserJet running at 9600 bps off an enhanced tty port
card and I have had problems with handshaking. The printer
occasionally gives me an error 22 which indicates a signal protocol
problem and I lose a partial line in the printed output. I have
ixon, ixoff, and -ixany in the stty statment inside the lp spooler
interface script. I found a while ago that I was able to solve the
handshaking problem for files coming from UNIX applications by
setting a carriage return delay (cr1) in the stty statement. But the
handshaking problem has resurfaced now that I'm trying to get
WordPerfect files from workstations printing on the LaserJet (we have
workstations linked by StarLAN to a 3B2 server). The printed output
is otherwise fine except that I'm getting the error 22 from the printer
again and occasionally losing characters in the output. I can
alleviate this problem to some degree by slowing down the port and
printer to 4800 bps but in this day and age that shouldn't be necessary.
I can get my test job to print correctly at least some of the time at
4800 bps.

I have tried turning off xon/xoff handshaking and using hardware
handshaking (using the command epstty hfc 0<&1 in the interface script)
but I just get gibberish from the LaserJet when I do this.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before and have any solution?
I have heard that AT&T is just releasing an update to the eports driver
which corrects bugs that may produce these symptoms. I am
enquiring about this. Has anyone heard anything on this?