Starlan Monitor Wanted

Dave Levenson dave at westmark.UUCP
Thu Mar 3 11:41:56 AEST 1988

I'm installing AT&T personal computer systems (6300, 6300PLUS,
and 6310) connected by Starlan, and running MS-DOS.  To help
me verify that my networks are optimally tuned, and that my
applications are using the networks correctly, I'd really like
to know what's going on on the net.

I've heard of test equipment that monitors a lan and records or
displays the traffic, and performs analysis, etc.  They tend to
be rather expensive, given that I'll probably only need it once.

I can probably monitor the net from one of the workstations, using
the Starlan board already provided, and some software that listens
and records what it hears without transmitting.  Does anyone know
of any software for this purpose?  Does anyone have any suggestions
on this?  Am I crazy to even think of doing such a thing?  Is it
worth the effort?

Thanks
--
Dave Levenson