Want to buy dead .5Mb memory board for UNIX-PC

j.l.wood jlw at lznv.ATT.COM
Wed Mar 2 02:54:36 AEST 1988

In article <1583 at m2-net.UUCP>, scs at m2-net.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) writes:
> Several folks were kind enough to send me the info on upgrading 64K Dram
> boards to 256K.  As a soldering novice, the last thing I'm willing to
> do is touch my motherboard or functioning .5Mb board with a hot iron.
> Anybody got a dead expansion board, or know how to get unstuffed ones?

When you don't want to recover the chips, and who would bother with 64k DRAMs
going for less than a buck, I usually clip out the chip and leave the pins
first.  Then I clamp the board edge on to my face with the component side
to my right (I'm left handed).  Taking the soldering iron in my left and
a pair of needlenose in my right, I quickly apply heat and gently pull the
pins one at a time.  I later go back with more heat and a solder sucker
to clear the holes.  I find this method less likely to damage the board.

Joe Wood
lznv!jlw