IPC facilities (shared memory)

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP
Wed Mar 9 01:21:40 AEST 1988

  SysV shared memory segments are inherited by the child, like any other
open handle. If you open the segment and then do a fork, the child has
access. If you fork and then open, the child will have to open, too.

  I have used the shm stuff without too much trouble, but the semiphores
really have me going. I can make them work as traditional semiphores,
notify and wait model, but when I start using the counts, I get some
funny results.

  I'm still working on this, and will try it in a number of systems to
be sure the bug isn't in Xenix.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)