parallel printers driving distance on 3B2s

H. L. Rogers rogers at ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM
Sat Mar 5 08:03:59 AEST 1988

In article <1505 at nis.NIS.MN.ORG> pnessutt at nis.NIS.MN.ORG (Robert A. Monio) writes:
>In article <57 at vsi.UUCP> friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>>     Has anybody had experience driving a parallel printer
>>any distance with a standard 3B2 PORTS card?  I know you're
>>not supposed to go very far but I wonder how far that is.
>>I am thinking about 30-40' or so....
>
>We originally had a 3B2-400 here and had our printer(s) connected in
>parallel.  The length of the cable was about 12 feet.  We found that
>
>Later, when we replaced our 3B2-400 with several NCR Tower 600's, we
>were faced with the problem of extending our printer lines to about
>200 feet.  We solved this problem by purchasing a several Parallel Boosters.

Parallel printer cables carry standard TTL logic signals, which can only
drive 12 feet of wire safely while maintaining adequate signal margins.

____________             _____________________________________________________
                        |                                                     |
U          U            |       >  >  >  >  >  >  >  > ...!rutgers!           |
U          U            |      ^        ^                     v               |
U Kentucky U  K      K  |      ^        ^        ...!gatech!mcnc!< < uvaarpa! |
U Wildcats U  K    K    |      ^        ^              v      v               |
U          U  K  K      |      ^ ...!sri-unix!hplabs!< <   ece-csc!           |
 U        U   KK        |      ^                v             v               |
   UUUUUU     K  K      | ...!sdcsvax!ucsdhub!hp-sdd!ncr-sd!ncrcae!ofc!rogers |
---------     K      K  |    OR JUST TRY hl.rogers at ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM    |

"If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when
 will you ever find time to do it over." - from a wise sage.
 Go Big Blue!