NO SPACE Error message

Novorolsky pgn at iwtpm.ATT.COM
Fri Mar 25 04:14:42 AEST 1988

>From article <1206 at PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, by edw at IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU (Eddie Wyatt):
> In article <995 at mcgill-vision.UUCP>, mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
>  > > Last night in lab, I had about 12 users compiling small C programs
>  > > [and "no space on disk 0 partition 0" messages started appearing].
>  > > [/ was out of space, but some space appeared shortly thereafter.]
>  > > I'm guessing that things are happening in /tmp, right?
>
>   Sun's version of cc has a switch which allows you to use pipes

Careful! Pipes are actually I/O on any implementation of UNIX (TM) that I have
seen. The way these work is to use disk blocks as buffer space.
That is that although the use of a pipe  will greatly reduce the amount
of disk space used, it does not avoid the use of the filesystem altogether,
and you may still run out of disk space if space is really tight.

Unless someone has changed the system configuration, the root disk partition
is also used as the PIPEDEV (which defines what device is used to buffer pipes)
The "/etc/sysdef" command can be used to verify the PIPEDEV.
(It can also be found in the /etc/system file)

				Paul Novorolsky
				Indian Hill West
				Naperville, Ill