UNIX-pc fans

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Sun Mar 6 11:34:48 AEST 1988

In article <1360 at tolerant.UUCP> kennedy at tolerant.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) writes:

|>The service technician that fixed it explained that the right hand
|>fan *should* always come on when you power up but sometimes it does
|>not.  That is what had happened, the fan didn't come on so everything
|>went south.  His caution is to be *double darned* sure that the right
|>hand fan is running when you power on and cycle the switch until it
|>does if it doesn't.  Apologies if this is repetitive but he sure
|>didn't know about it, nor did I.

The 3B1's only have one fan (the right hand fan).  For some reason they
aren't very reliable.  I work for an AT&T VAR and we've had 5 or
so customer with fan problems (out of 26)  Not very good.  Even my own
personal UNIX pc was stricken with the fan-burnout problem.  Instead of
using AT&T service ($100 for the fan part alone) I went to my local Radio
Shack and bought two 12VDC fans.  The are both running now in my UNIX pc
for about 2 months (no problems...)  They are even quieter than the
AT&T fans.   I think the two fans might give extra protection, I'm not
sure though since most of the heat is on the right side (where the power
supply is).

After seeing the top cover actually WARP because of the heat, I got a
little scared.  What if I wasn't home when this happened ? :-(

							-Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S