parallel printers driving distance on 3B2s

Robert A. Monio pnessutt at nis.NIS.MN.ORG
Fri Mar 4 02:56:15 AEST 1988

In article <57 at vsi.UUCP> friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>     Has anybody had experience driving a parallel printer
>any distance with a standard 3B2 PORTS card?  I know you're
>not supposed to go very far but I wonder how far that is.
>I am thinking about 30-40' or so....

We originally had a 3B2-400 here and had our printer(s) connected in
parallel.  The length of the cable was about 12 feet.  We found that
if we went beyond 15 feet with our parallel cables that we lost data.

Later, when we replaced our 3B2-400 with several NCR Tower 600's, we
were faced with the problem of extending our printer lines to about
200 feet.  We solved this problem by purchasing a several Parallel Boosters.
The Boosters allow us to place our printers up to 1000 feet away from
the Tower without losing any data.  Our cost for each Booster was
approximately $125.00.

I would suggest that if you want to extend your parallel lines beyond
15 feet that you consider purchasing Parallel Booster(s).  This will insure
that you don't lose any data between the printer and your machine.

Good Luck!

-Bob

--
"Get it out of here!  I'm alergic        Robert A. Monio
 to Popcorn!"                            National Information Systems, Inc.