FOLLOWUP: NEC V-30 PC6300 upgrades.

Mick Laver zz1ml at sdcc3.ucsd.EDU
Wed Mar 23 06:05:51 AEST 1988

Several weeks ago I posted a request for information on upgrading an
AT&T PC6300 by replacing the 8086 with a NEC V-30.  I promised a
folowup (for those who aren't sick to death of the subject), so here
it is.

Thanks to all who replied -- especially to Rob Stampfli who had
posted a similar request several months prior to mine.
	-Mick

The questions and a summary of the responses:

>1.  What sort of performance increase should one expect?

Claims for performance increase were consistently in the 10-20%
range. Norton's SI index showed an increase from 1.9 to
about 3.5. One person reported an SI of 4.2 after the V-30
installation.

>2.  Is a ROM upgrade for older 6300's necessary?

No, the V-30 worked fine with versions 1.21 and 1.43 ROM.

>3.  Any other gotchas to be wary of?

Some games would not run, but there was conflicting information on
that point. Most people reported NO problems with software.

Apparently the V-30 will not work with AT&T's extended memory card.
This is the ONLY reported hardware problem.

Mick Laver, C-010                 Internet:         mlaver at ucsd.edu
UCSD Academic Computing Center    UUCP:             ...!ucsd!mlaver
La Jolla, CA.92093                BITNET:        mlaver at ucsd.BITNET