assembler for IS25 instructions not working

Robert J Goguen rgoguen at bbn.com
Wed Oct 26 02:00:49 AEST 1988

Folks
	I'm not sure if this belongs here, but if it doesn't please tell me
where to get help.   Thanks .....

	I'm porting gcc to the AT&T 3B2 I'm having problems with the assembler.

        My assembler is choking on any of the arithmetic fuctions involving
bytes or halfword.
                E.g
                        mulb2   7(%fp),11(%fp)

The error messages states
                "mulb2" illegal instruction. This happens with div,add,sub,mod,
etc.... Also with halfwords, eg. mulh2 or divh2. The 3B2 IS25 instruction set
clearly states that these are valid. When I changed these instructions to
uppercase e.g. MULB2 7(%fp),11(%fp) the assemble didn't complain. Is there some
switch that I have to pass to the assembler that I don't know about to assemble
IS25 instructions?

Bob G. (rgoguen at bbn.com)