Is there any replacement for the FloppyTape drive on the 3B1?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Mon Sep 19 04:35:31 AEST 1988

I have a question for the net... I have in my possession a 3B1 tape
controller board and the driver software.  My question is can I get
a tape drive that is similar in operation to the 3B1's to use
this controller board.  Of course I can call the AT&T part's department
and spend mucho $$$ for the tape subassembly, but I rather not do that.

I know the tape drive is made by Cipher, in fact it is the Model 525.
I've called them, and they nicely supplied me with the specs, but said
that tape drive is been out of production for a while.  I never pursued
it further, but I was thinking about it these days.

Are any of the IBM Compatible tape drives that use the floppy controller
(namely the WD2797) possible candidates?   If they perhaps are compatible,
are they cable compatible as well?

Thanks,
Lenny
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \
           PO Box 1                |                boulder \
           Islip Terrace, NY 11752 |                talcott  !icus!lenny
Vocal-net: (516) 582-5525 [work]   |                pacbell /
           (516) 968-8576 [home]   |                hombre /
Telex-net: 154232428 ICUS          | Another-net:   attmail!icus!lenny