Is there any replacement for the FloppyTape drive on the 3B1?

Bob Ames bob at rush.cts.com
Thu Sep 22 16:22:41 AEST 1988

In article <164 at hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens at hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
> In article <358 at gizzmo.UUCP>, mark at gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:
> >
> > Yes, you can find a Cipher drive at numerous surplus dealers.  The Cipher
> > drive IS the ATT drive.  They are even in the same case.  I have seen
> > them for as low as $100.00.
>
> OK, if we can probably find a surplus drive somewhere, any ideas
> from anyone on how to get the controller and driver for a
> reasonable price ??

Yes!  Metro Technologies in Los Angeles, CA can get these parts.

I think we paid around $500-600 each for a few sets so we could just move
around the drive instead of constantly yanking and pushing boards/cables.

Their number is 213-856-6500.  Tell them you heard it from Bob Ames!

Bob Ames
Howard Publications, Inc.   Bell: 619-743-2546   INET: bob at rush.cts.com
UUCP: {rutgers!ucsd, nosc, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush.cts.com!bob
                                       or crash!rush!bob might work...
"We've got Tribbles on the ship, Quintotritacale in the corridors,
and Klingons in the Quadrant!  It can ruin your whole day, Sir!"
- Scotty, "More Tribbles, More Troubles", animated.
terrorist, cryptography, DES, drugs, cipher, secret, decode, NSA, CIA, NRO.
Jim Kelly, ESPN: "At the dock, you don't get a trophy, you get a subpoena!"
"We each pay a fabulous price - for our visions of paradise." - Rush