multiple gettys, why use them?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.UUCP
Thu Sep 1 04:44:01 AEST 1988

In article <631 at bacchus.UUCP> darren at bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) writes:

>I don't like Office (UA) becuase the windows are big and clumsy, it takes up
>lots of memory, slows the system to a screaching halt (I only have 1meg now),
>and is in general a poor user interface.  [oh no, now I've done it, millions
>of UA fans after me :-].

Do you have any timing numbers to back this up?  I normally run ua at the
console, but only to open up a bunch of full-screen windows (a built-in
option in 3.51, easy enough under 3.5).  For some things I use windy
to give the borderless windows a name so I can find them easily from the
window screen.  This doesn't "seem" slow at all with 3.51 and 2 meg memory,
but I would like to know if there is anything to gain by using multiple
gettys.    BTW, I have been able to compile GNU emacs with HAVE_SYSVIPC
defined so that you can run emacs in server mode in one window, then
start emacsclient in another and edit by jumping to the window with
the running emacs (which will have your file loaded by the time you
get there).

Les