3B2/300 vs 310

Scott MacQuarrie scott at attcan.UUCP
Wed Sep 28 00:31:20 AEST 1988

In article <159 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

> Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
> Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
> Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
> 1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
> Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

The difference is very simple. The first thing is the 3B2/310 is a
direct replacement of the 3B2/300. They look exactly the same from a
physical perspective. The much more important difference is the CPU on
the 300 is an older verion. The 3B2/310 has a WE32100 CPU (That's Western
Electric). This is an upgraded version of the earlier model and is running
at a faster clock rate ( 10 Mhz ). There is an upgrade available for 300 to
allow you to improve to a 3B2/310.

I have a converted 3B2/300 as one of my home machines, so the process is quite
simple to do. My system is now a 3B2/310 running at the 10 Mhz. You may find
it difficult to aquire the upgrade kit in the future, since the 3B2/300 is a
discontinued model, so if you have one of there beasties I would recommend
upgrading as soon as you can.

Scott MacQuarrie
Sr. Technical Consultant
AT&T Canada Inc.