HAYES MODEM PROBLEMS

david berk daveb at pyuxf.UUCP
Sat Sep 17 08:45:10 AEST 1988

Help -

I am trying to connect a HAYES compatable modem to my
6386 PC or a 3B1.  With each machine I am able to dial
out using cu. However, when I set it for Auto Answer
it answers but without the usual carrier whistle and then
it hangs up. When I disconnect the RS-232 cable from the
modem and ring it, it answers fine with the whistle.
Can anyone out there who has gotten a Hayes Compatable modem to work
correctly on either of the machines under unix kindly send
me their RS-232 pinout and perhaps any extraordinary things
they had to do to get a HAYES compatable to work (ie register settings).

THANX IN ADVANCE;

Dave Berk
..!bcr!pyuxf!daveb