3B2/300 vs 310

Robert C. White Jr. rwhite at nusdhub.UUCP
Tue Sep 27 09:36:22 AEST 1988

in article <159 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) says:

> Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?

The major difference between a 300 and a 310 is that the 300 did not
use a "regular" cpu chip.  It had a daughter board where the cpu should
should have been.  This board substancially slowed opperation of the
system.  (I think the buss clock had to run slower to accomidate it,
or the logic was too loose, but I don't know for shure)

There was an upgrade from the 300 to the 310.  If you have a 300, get
the upgrade.  If you don't have a 300, don't get one!

Having gotten a peak at a few price/bundling type of stuff;  if you
are going to be using networking (etc.) or you are only going to have
a couple of users, the 6386 machines are MUCH more cost effective.
If you want major disk space, or more users, then the larger numbers
in the 3B family will serve you better.  A 310/310 is a dead end.

Rob.

BAN THE SVR3.2.1 LP SUBSYSTEM!!!!! [until they fix it at least!]
	(for a detailed description about why the new features are
		broken, mail inquires to rwhite at nusdhub.UUCP)