Help needed restoring UNIX-PC

0804 M110 jmd at swbatl.UUCP
Tue Sep 13 22:17:15 AEST 1988

In article <24769 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> budd at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Philip Budne) writes:
>I have come upon a junked UNIX PC (particulars below).  The machine
>was trashed because of presumed disk failure (grounding strap noise
>from the HD?)
>
>I would appreciate any advice on restoring it or using the parts to
>build something else (know of any good 68020/bitmap/HD boards?).  What
>I would like is a multitasking PC which runs GNU Emacs and uucp.
>
>Thanks!
>	Phil Budne, Boston University
>
>================
>
>Bottom of case;
>	PC7300 s/n 370429020 00160B
>
>I have;
>	Case, power supply, monitor, kbd, mouse, fans,
>	PALS (sockets 25B, 24H), mother board;
>
>	Top of Board (rear left)
>		S4 CPU
>		PCA D-60-00 222 REV M140 (sticker: PCT 3141)
>		(c) 1984
>
>	Bottom of Board (rear left);
>		Diceon 3 MC 94V-0
>		D-43-00222-00 Rev A (in box:) 1185
>
>	Socketed chips (need placements);
>	ROMS "72-00617" and "72-00616"
>	40 Pin chip:
>		Vli 507VR 6286
>		VC2513
>		32-00381-00
>		MEXICO A
>
>Missing;
>	Hard disk drive, floppy disk drive,
>		Acceptible replacemements?
>	Cables for disks.
>	All s/w and doc was discarded.
>
>	Empty 40 pin sockets;
>	22H 22E 21H 17C 2K
>
>	Empty CPU socket (64 pin)
>		68010?  What speed?
>
>	Additional memory board.
>
>Damaged;
>	relay K5 (part no? DS1E-M??)
>
>==
>
>Q: Is 3b1 just another name for PC7300/UNIX-PC?

	Yes , it has the same cpu and runs the same software the
	main difference is that the 3b1 has more memory (usually 2m)
	and a larger disk drive.(usually 67m)

>Q: What does it mean when people say they are running OS version 3.51
>	is this S5R1? R2? R3?
	This is system V ver 3.51

>Q: Is purchasing the chips on qty 1 going to be prohibative?
>	are any of them custom?
>
>Q: Would the platform run 'X'? Or is the window system reasonable?
	yes.

	As far as some of your hardware questions go, I can't answer
	however the disk drive replacement question can be .

	There are several authorized drives for the 7300, one caution
	though is that the controller determines the density not the
	type of drive, on the 7300 this is located on the mother board
	I believe ? (not sure) my brother in KC has replaced his 20m
	with a 40 m.

	later....
James M Doherty  - SWBT - Advanced Technology Planning
1010 Pine St. - Room M110 - St. Louis. MO. 63101.
UUCP: { pyramid, ihnp4, bellcore }...!atlpyr!jmd
PHON: 314-235-0804 FAX: 314-235-xxxx