Whats the best DOS upgrade path?

Charles Marslett chasm at killer.DALLAS.TX.US
Sun Sep 4 01:51:29 AEST 1988

In article <39457 at linus.UUCP>, mhg at mitre-bedford.ARPA (Mark H. Granoff) writes:

> I have read quite a bit lately (here, in fact) that BACKUP/RESTORE
> between DOS versions doesn't work.  Whether that's true or not (is
> it?), I am not planning on using DOS BACKUP and RESTORE.  I got a copy
> of FastBack+, which I am told by others, works just fine on AT&Ts.
> Any comments?  Will I be able to read FastBack+-written disks (under
> DOS 2.11) under DOS 3.x?

Yes, so long as you used the same version of FASTBACK, the save/restore
will go flawlessly (or so it always has been for me and everyone I know!).

> Since I will have to reformat, what is the exact procedure?  I think I
> know, but I would like to check it out before I start:
>
>      1. DOS BACKUP my FastBack+ directory, to RESTORE later onto 3.x
>         disk, rather than reinstall it from scratch.
>      2. Low level format with interleave factor 3.
>      3. FDISK to create partition.

        3a. Format the partition using the new DOS (I always do a
            "FORMAT/S" since this seems more reliable (gut feel) than
            a format followed by a sys.

>      4. SYS to copy 3.x system.

       4. SYS only if you did a FORMAT without the "/S" above.

>      5. DOS 3.x RESTORE of FastBack+ directory.
>      6. FastBack+ restore (all but DOS 2.11 stuff)
>
> Right??  Will I be able to run DOS 3.x RESTORE on DOS 2.11 BACKUP
> disks????

I do not know, I have always just reinstalled FASTBACK -- a better
alternative is just copy the \fastback directory to a floppy without
using BACKUP/RESTORE (the only thing that is different from a reinstall
is the presence of the backup directory file, I think).

> Thanks for the information.

You're welcome (especially if I got it right!)

Charles Marslett
chasm at killer.dallas.tx.us