Info-3b2 Digest, Number 20

Info-3b2 Mailing List info-3b2 at lamc
Fri Sep 30 07:21:03 AEST 1988

                           Info-3b2 Digest, Number 20

                         Thursday, September 29th 1988

Today's Topics:

                                     3B20's
                        Re: The power of this newsletter
                               Gateway into Europe
                         Re: Info-3b2 Digest, Number 19
                           Help needed booting 3b2/400

Subject: 3B20's
From: pacbell!daver!ssbn!dillo1!ehopper

There's been a lot of discussion here about 3B20's, etc and I though
I'd pop in with my 2 cents worth.

The 3B20 is definitely *NOT* considered one of the hot properties
to sell for a typical Data Systems Group Account Executive. It's
still available, but the intervals are undoubtedly awful. I am not
sure it is the best option, either.

It costs about the same as the 3B4000, and the 4000 is typically
a stronger box (although the full-duplex redundancy is not
available on a 4000. At least not yet.) The 4000 architecture
is based on a master processor (typically a 3B15) with a 20MByte
ABUS network connecting it to communications processors (slightly
modified 3B2/600 and 700's) and to file serving and computing
processors that are card based (normally 32200, but you can
get 32100 based cards). The whole mess is an aggregate 40 or so
MIPS. (Of course, you can only throw about 3 to 5 mips at any one
process).

The version of UNIX (3.1.1 going to 3.2.1) allows you to attach
processes to various CPUs. Therefore, in say a database application,
you could theoretically go and assign your screen functions to the
600/700 boxes (terminal I/O is their job). While assigning queries to
the file server card processor (called an ADP or EADP) and math
functions to a compute processor. This mix can be varied by user
id, group id or application.

Re: Getting info. I cringe every time I see a message about someone's
contact with AT&T marketing. It can be a mess. Make sure you are
talking to Data Systems Group people and not phone peddlers. The phone
peddlers have a mandate to forget what little they have learned about
computers and they are doing a good job of that. If someone
runs into a problem, email to me at: ehopper at ssbn or attmail!ehopper.

I'll see what I can do to get you taken care of properly.

Ed Hopper
AT&T Data Systems Group-Houston