/dev/syscon (on the UNIX PC)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Tue Sep 27 09:05:27 AEST 1988

In article <2426 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard at uhccux.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
|>} A friend's 3B1 often boots up such that when he logs in he is on
|>} /dev/syscon rather than on /dev/w1.  Similarly, windy won't work.  It
|>} looks like the Window Manager is having problems, but the question is
|>} why.  I checked his /etc/rc and /etc/inittab and they are both
|>} identical to mine.  All the standard processes are listed with a ps,
|>} but the wmgr appears to use a suspicously low amount of CPU.  Any ideas?
|>
|>I've forgotten the details now, but SysV used to have a bug whereby
|>it would misbehave if the syscon entry in the /dev directory occurred
|>before the console entry.

I don't think this is your problem.  I've seen this on a couple of machines
where for some reason (still unknown to me), /dev/syscon get's unlinked from
the other two names.

On my system...

crw-rw-rw-  1 root    sys       1,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/console
				^ a total different device driver.
crw-rw-rw-  3 root    sys       7,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/syscon
crw-rw-rw-  3 root    sys       7,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/systty
crw-rw-rw-  3 root    sys       7,  0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/window
	    ^ all linked together.

So to make sure things are right, just do this:

# ln /dev/window /dev/syscon
# ln /dev/window /dev/systty

This should solve your problems with the window manager...

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems       [work] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex: 154232428 ICUS       [home] +1 (516) 968-8576