How can I open port to ext modem?

Todd Day todd at ivucsb.UUCP
Sun Sep 11 02:13:33 AEST 1988

I want to open a direct line between a terminal connected to my
UNIXPC and an externam modem.  Right now, all I can do is cu
to the modem.  I want to be able to talk directly to the modem
and do modem programming from the terminal.  I do not want the
UNIXPC to set the dialcodes, etc.  Basically, what I want is the
same as trying to get two external terminals connected to each
other.  This, I can do, because the terminals have cables on
them that set pins 4,5,6,8,20 properly.  I cannot talk to the
modem directly because these pins are not set (and I want to
keep it that way).  What I want to know is, how does the UNIXPC
program the modem even though 4,5,6,8,20 are not set (this is
the case in cu... cu can program the modem, but I cannot from
the terminal type something like cat /dev/tty000, as the system
just hangs, nor does echo test >/dev/tty000 work).

The problem stems from timesharing the modem.  I want my UNIXPC to
use the modem (2400 baud) for my newsfeed, and my roommate with the
Macintosh wants to use the modem, also.  However, he wants a direct
connection, so I was going to fake this by hooking his Mac up to
my machine and having the UNIXPC pass the characters between the
two devices.  Right now I am jerryrigging the operation by using
cu and having a modemcap entry of pl=::.  However, cu traps the
first tilda, and this is unacceptable.

Thank you.

--
   /| Todd Day (805)968-9352 |\    "I asked for a car, I got a computer.  How's
+-+ | The Audio Club at UCSB | +-+    that for being born under a bad sign?"
+-+ |  926 B Camino Del Sur  | +-+      comdesign!ivucsb!todd at pyramid.com
   \| Isla Vista, CA   93117 |/     {uunet,sun}!pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!todd