Help needed restoring UNIX-PC

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Sat Sep 10 14:56:04 AEST 1988

In article <24769 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> budd at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Philip Budne) writes:
[...]
|>I would appreciate any advice on restoring it or using the parts to
|>build something else (know of any good 68020/bitmap/HD boards?).  What
|>I would like is a multitasking PC which runs GNU Emacs and uucp.

[...]
|>Missing;
|>	Hard disk drive, floppy disk drive,
|>		Acceptible replacemements?

Since you are talking about the PC7300, I presume you have the case that
only can hold the half-height drives.  In that case you would be constrained
to something of that size.  I've seen hard drives up to 76MB in 1/2 height
using the MFM recording format.  Seagate ST251 (40Mb) drive would be an
acceptable replacement.  Anything less than 40Mb is tight for a development
environment.

Any 5.25" 360K floppy drive would be acceptable, assuming the strap settings
were set correctly.  The drive inside the UNIX PC I believe is made by Teac.
There has been some success with using a 3.5" 800K floppy on the UNIX PC which
will give you extra floppy space.  (Speak to Darren [darren at bacchus]
for further details on this subject)

|>	Cables for disks.

These usually come with the hard drive and/or floppy.

|>	All s/w and doc was discarded.

This can be bought from any AT&T Dealer.

|>	Empty 40 pin sockets;
|>	22H 22E 21H 17C 2K

The chips that are missing are: (From the AT&T UNIX PC Reference Manual)

22H	- DMA Data IC
22E	- DMA Address IC
21H	- WD1010 hard disk controller
17C	- Video IC
2K	- SCM Modem 882A

|>	Empty CPU socket (64 pin)
|>		68010?  What speed?

Yes, 68010 (10Mhz)

|>	Additional memory board.

4164 dynamic RAMs in the PC7300, and 41256-15 (150ns) dynamic RAMs in the 3B1.

|>Damaged;
|>	relay K5 (part no? DS1E-M??)

This is something for phone line 2, possibly for the A-lead, I'm not sure.
(Gil, you listening?)

|>Q: Is 3b1 just another name for PC7300/UNIX-PC?

The 3B1 has the same CPU except it had a bigger case (to satisfy the full
height drives), and possible a different power supply.  The PC7300 came
with less on board memory, and I believe couldn't be expanded as high
as 4MB (unlike the 3B1).

|>Q: What does it mean when people say they are running OS version 3.51
|>	is this S5R1? R2? R3?

The 3.51 release is the release number for the AT&T UNIX PC operating system.
It has *nothing* to do with System V release 3.XXX.    The UNIX PC Operating
system is somewhere around System V release 2 (SVR2), it has some Bezerkley
enhancements (BSD), plus somethings that are not up to the SVR2 and are
still lagging behind at SVR1.

|>Q: Is purchasing the chips on qty 1 going to be prohibative?
|>	are any of them custom?

Doubt it sincerely.  It probably would be cheaper by an entire *new* machine.
Most of the chips are custom, except of course for the 68010 CPU that you
are missing.

|>Q: Would the platform run 'X'? Or is the window system reasonable?

It doesn't run X-windows, and I doubt it ever will. ;-)

-Lenny
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \
           PO Box 1                |                boulder \
           Islip Terrace, NY 11752 |                talcott  !icus!lenny
Vocal-net: (516) 582-5525 [work]   |                pacbell /
           (516) 968-8576 [home]   |                hombre /
Telex-net: 154232428 ICUS          | Another-net:   attmail!icus!lenny