Changing fonts (was Re: multiple gettys, why use them?)

Gary S. Trujillo gst at gnosys.UUCP
Fri Sep 9 03:17:24 AEST 1988

In article <631 at bacchus.UUCP> darren at bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) writes:
> ...My favorite use it to log in to one
> wondow, set font slot 0 to my moria font (220x70?), go into another window,
> start playing moria and dump the map on the previous screen so I can see the
> whole thing.  Rather obscure use, but it's nice...
> I don't like Office (UA) becuase the windows are big and clumsy, it takes up
> lots of memory, slows the system to a screaching halt (I only have 1meg now),
> and is in general a poor user interface.  [oh no, now I've done it, millions
> of UA fans after me :-].

Well, all this talk of changing fonts caused me to go back and RTFM a bit and
try a few experiments.  Though I did play with fonts one time, the thought of
having to go through all that UA nonsense (I'm hardly a UA fan) dissuaded me
from pursuing the matter too far.

What I finally came up with was a few ksh aliases which allow one to change
fonts from the current window - rather than having to do so from a different
window or to fire up UA just for this one purpose:

	alias sffi='setf 0;setf /usr/lib/wfont/FANCY.I.E.12.A 0'
	alias sffr='setf 0;setf /usr/lib/wfont/FANCY.R.E.12.A 0'
	alias sfpi='setf 0;setf /usr/lib/wfont/PLAIN.I.E.12.A 0'
	alias sfpr='setf 0;setf /usr/lib/wfont/PLAIN.R.E.12.A 0'
	alias sfs='setf 0;setf /usr/lib/wfont/system.8.ft 0'
	alias sfsr='setf 0;setf /usr/lib/wfont/system.r.8.ft 0'

(You'll have to look very closely to see the differences between the default
system font and the plain Roman font - I think most characters in these two
sets are actually identical.)

Now if someone could only explain to me how I can get to a font loaded into
slots 1-7 once they're loaded and/or the reason for the cautionary note on
p. 4-60 of the Owner's Manual about using only slot zero, after just telling
us that we have eight slots which may be used for new windows...

Jim Rosenberg / Norman Yarvin are you out there??

--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {icus,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst