Connecting ATT 7300 to SGI network

Grant Fengstad grant at clleth.UUCP
Fri Aug 11 02:26:05 AEST 1989

In article <89220.115610W0L at PSUVM>, W0L at PSUVM.BITNET (Bill Lasher) writes:
> We have a lab of SGI personal IRIS machines.  We would like to attach a PC so w
> e can transfer CADKEY files from DOS based PC's.  We have the opportunity to ge
> t two ATT 7300's for free, but we don't know much about them.  Can the ATT read
>  DOS files without a special board?  What would it take to hook them up to the
> SGI ethernet (running TCP/IP, NFS)?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am not aware of any support for the 3B1/7300 to co-exist with TCP/IP or
NFS.  The box has a proprietary bus and the only expansion cards that I
have heard of are RAM, rs-232 and AT&T Starlan.  The 7300 will read DOS
files (only 360K format) and allow you to copy them to the Unix file system.
Feasibly, you could connect the box Asynchronously.

--
Grant M. Fengstad     "The ideas expressed are my own - not my employers"
Sr. CSR, Systems Integration - ComputerLand (Canada)