Goodbye, aka "Hello, I'm your worst nightmare"

Bob Breum bob at cmpfen.UUCP
Fri Aug 25 22:10:43 AEST 1989

paco at oakhill.UUCP (Paco) writes:

>In article <307 at cbnewsj.ATT.COM> dwex at mtgzx.ATT.COM (d.e.wexelblat) writes:
>>In article <4215 at udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> tom at vax1.acs.udel.EDU (tom) writes:
>>> alt.drugs is not dying. it is merely being censored by a small group of
>>> narrow-minded fools at at&t. it will probably lose some connectivity.
>>
>>What you will most likely accomplish, you narrow-minded fools, is to lose
>>access to comp.sys.att for those of use that want to read it.  Your (plural)
>>self-centered attitude about your illegal habits is now jeopardizing a
>>very useful technical group in addition to your (IMHO) worthless group.
>>GET OUT OF COMP.SYS.ATT!!!  Followups to alt.drugs, and flames via mail.
>>Stop cluttering this group.  We have enough of our own clutter!
>What does "those of use" imply????

>Somehow, uncensored discussions aren't quite isomorphic to "self-centered
>attitude about your illegal habits".

(Long-winded sob stories about his tenure at AT&T deleted.)

>Somehow, I DON'T find discussion of AT&T's notion of computer systems,
>policy, ethics, etc. and alt.drugs all that incongruous...  It fries my
>blood, however to see some jerk post over here in alt.drugs telling
>people who share an interest in thinking for themselves, what to do.

Paco, my boy, you still don't get it, do you?  Those poor abused gray
cells of yours having trouble stringing together the required
synapses?  8^) All right, see if you can follow this...

The newsgroup "comp.sys.att" is not a house organ for AT&T; it is just
another newsgroup for those of us who happen to own AT&T computers.
Paco, AT&T may be a totalitarian sweatshop to work for (I don't know),
but that's not the concern of the majority of the readers of this
newsgroup, who do not and never have worked for AT&T.  Many of the
readers of this group, like myself, own an AT&T UNIX-PC simply because
it was the _cheapest_ way to get a _real_ UNIX machine for our
personal use.  We're just here, along with lots of other commercial
and institutional users of these and other AT&T machines, to exchange
notes and experiences with one another.  We don't care about AT&T
(they've abandoned meaningful support of the UNIX-PC), nor we do have
any interest whatsoever in which newsgroups AT&T chooses to propagate
internally.  Please don't make all of us suffer because of an
unrelated action taken by the manufacturer of our computers over which
we have no control.

There, I managed to ask nicely.  Whew.  By the way, Paco, et al, the
spirit of the Bill of the Rights is that your rights are only limited
when you interfere with the rights of others.  Trust me, Paco,
cross-posting to comp.sys.att to make all of innocents suffer for the
wrong(s) of another is not in that spirit.

--
Computer Fenestrations						      Bob Breum
Post Office Box 151		{uiucuxc|hoptoad|petsd|ucf-cs}!peora!cmpfen!bob