Flaky CTC in 3B2/400

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Sat Aug 19 00:42:17 AEST 1989

I have two identical 3B2/400s.  The CTC in mccc cannot read, write, or
format (it fails at the end of the 'verify' pass with an "errno=5"
message) tapes that have been formatted by the CTC in mc3, BUT it did
correctly read a tape from a third machine.  Cleaning the head of the
CTC in mccc with a very long "Radio Shack Dual-Tipped Cleaning Stick"
and 91% isopropyl alcohol made no difference.

Which of the two is "bad"?  Must it be replaced?  Is there something
better that uses DC600 cartridges and the same interface?

Please email.  The recent renumbering of its Internet node by princeton
has essentially taken it off the air, as far as incoming articles are
concerned.  I'm hoping that this will go out!

Thanks,
Pete
--
Pete Holsberg -- Mercer College -- Trenton, NJ 08690
...!rutgers!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh