mkdir missing from libc.a

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Thu Aug 10 14:48:48 AEST 1989

In article <475 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

> My SV R3.0 Programmer's Reference manual lists mkdir(2) as an available
> system call, but ar -t libc.a shows that mkdir.o is not there.  What
> does this mean?

This comes up all the time.  Unfortunately, AT&T's operating
systems and C compilers are packaged separately, and while the OS
supports mkdir as a system call, an old libc.a won't have the
trivial wrapper function for it.  C compilers releases 4.1 [no
relationship to SVR4] and beyond all have the SVR3 stuff, while
Issue 3, pcc2, and C-FP+ probably don't.

You can find out your compiler type by

	cc -V

and see what the message is.  If you've an old compiler, you can
get a new compiler (CPLU4.2 is the latest), write wrapper functions
in assembler, or borrow mkdir.o from somebody's current libc.a.

If you don't have 4.2, you're missing a phenomenal optimizer.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc.  /  Santa Ana, CA  / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / {attmail uunet}!vsi!{bang!}friedl  /  friedl at vsi.com

"My new bestseller, _Teach_Yourself_to_Read_, is now available everywhere" -me